Saturday, October 25, 2008

A True Craftsman ~ Otto Heino

On a recent trip to Ojai for the Ojai Studio Artists Tour I had the chance to meet one of the most celebrated potters of our time, Otto Heino. "The Pottery" as it is known is located just outside of town and up the hill, overlooking a beautifull garden. It is such a beautiful setting I'm not sure I could get much work done! The Pottery is open Tuesday through Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., if you have a chance stop by and say hello. Be sure to ask Otto about his yellow glaze! Since Otto fires to cone 12 or 13 the fact that he achieves such a beautiful yellow glaze is remarkable. That glaze has been the crux of his marketing, creating the mystique around this ancient asian glaze that he was able to recreate. And the recipe is not written down, Otto has it commited to memory!
If you are in the area do stop by. Otto is allways there ready to answer questions, the fact that he is still producing, still throwing everyday makes him an inspiration to us all. I am honored to have his answers to a couple questions to post here. And I want to send a special thank you to his niece Helen Heino. Since Otto doesnt do email, my correspondence was with her. Thank you Helen! By the way, all images here as well as what you will find on Otto's Pottery website were taken by Helen Heino, good work!
Why clay?
Clay is the only live material an artist works with and the artist must also have a good eye for shape. Having been born on a farm... I have worked with clay all of my life.
What inspires you?
Designs from nature inspire me.
Who is your favorite artist?
Peter Volkous is one of my favorite artists.
What is your favorite quote?
One of my favorite quotes is:
"Live, Laugh and Learn... and I add...be positive...you cannot be negative!" Thats a good philosophy for us all to live by, Thank you Otto! And Thank you Helen!

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Hi Chris, love that yellow glaze, I hope I am that spry when I am Otto's age.

Anonymous said...

Love the works very much
Silence and beauty
Miri Fleisher

Anonymous said...

love otto! he is an inspiration!